Friday, January 16, 2009

And, More light!












Whew!!! What a week, it seems everyone here is sick! We have been flying around all week trying to accommodate all the sick people on our campus. I work for a large research facility and we have over 3000 employees on our campus and it appears the majority of them have colds, sinus infections or allergies. At least it seems that way. So sorry I am behind with my blogging.


I figured that while I was talking about lights that I would show you a couple more of my crystal
lights.
The first is my candlestick lamp that I have on my front door. Several months ago I bought two candlestick lamps on sale at Hobby lobby for $15.00 each. One of the lamps I bought had a leopard lamp shade. While I know that they are very popular with a lot of people, it is not my style. I looked for another shade for it for a longtime but had a hard time finding one that would fit because the base of the shade is very small.


I can't remember on whose blog I saw a lamp with just the bare lamp frame. It gave me the idea to remove the fabric and just use the frame. The pictures above show how it turned out.

I had some ribbon with crystals attached that I had purchased at Walmart in the craft section, so I just attached it to the top and bottom edge of the frame. It's different but I like it. I also changed the light bulb to a 5 watt bulb that had been dipped in silicone. It makes it look more like a candle and surprisingly enough it is enough light to light the foyer.

The chandelier in the hallway is one of the things I bought on our trip to Mobile last spring. It was hanging in the entryway of a shop that was going out of business and the owner literally took it down to sell it to me. I originally wanted to put it in the entry but it hung too low and would have been hit by the front door, so it ended up in the hallway. If I can't find a good chandelier for my bathroom I might replace it with something else and put it in my bathroom. It is the kind of fixture I wanted for the dining room but larger ones in that style are soooo expensive so I
ended up with the one in the previous post. Actually, I like what I got in the dining room just as well and it has more of my creativity in it and it is definitely one of a kind!!


9 comments:

Tanya said...

Great idea for the bare lampshade. I think unique lighting really make a home special, like jewelry!

Glimpse of My World said...

I love what you did.. very cute.. I make ribbon lampshades and they are cute too... I may have to work on one with just crystals!

Maisy said...

I always love your pics. I just did a similar things with the empty frames on my mantle...I just adore that look :)

Neabear said...

That is a great idea taking the shade off. I will have to remember that idea if I end up with a lamp that would work to do that with. I hope you stay well.

Mary said...

That look so pretty, I love all your beautiful frames also!

Cindy said...

Wow! I love the lampshade with just the frame! It looks great in front of your frames on the wall. I've been looking for a small chandelier for my bathroom. The small vintage ones seem harder to find. I could take down the one in my kitchen but I love it too much there. I may have settle with buying a new chandelier for the bathroom!

Lady Pamela said...

I really like how your chandelier in the dining room turned out. I think I will start looking for shades for mine, too.

Unknown said...

I love the blue and white dishes in the first pic. They would look great in my kitchen. :) The lampshade is really cute too!

Anonymous said...

I love your "bare" lamp shade which really is not bare at all with all those wonderful sparklys!!! I think this might be just what I need to do for a light in my tiny utility room- if I can figure out how to hand it from the ceiling- just has a yucky porcelain fixture with lightbulb right now!

blessings
mary