Sunday, August 15, 2010

Welcome Home!

This a partial view of the entry way to the new room. This area is approximately 4x4 feet. It is on the other side of the screen door that we placed at the entrance to the room. On the right side of this area is the door to the storage area than we incorporated at the very back of the garage area. I love and need a lot of storage!!

I wanted that screen door there to keep the dog from being able to bolt out of the outside door when it is opened. Most of my dogs have been talented escape artists. Molly, thankfully, is not as much prone to this but I still don't want her running out into the alley as most of the cars come down the alley pretty quickly. Also, I think the screen door adds charm and the vintage feel I wanted the room to impart.

I don't like coming home to a totally dark house. I usually have a small night light turned on to correct this problem. In this case, I have a 15 watt bulb in the lamp on the shelf. The shelf, it's self is made from old shutters I bought at a garage sale several years ago. Shutters aren't as popular as
they used to be but I still like them and have them in several places in my house. To me they have more character than blinds. In this case I added two metal brackets to form the shelf and then used the lower edge of the one shutter for hooks to accommodate some old track shoes , a straw hat and a small sign that says "to plant a garden is to believe in tomorrow."

Below the shelf I have a wicker shopping basket that I also bought at a garage sale when I still lived in Arizona more than 12 years ago. To me, it forms a great little vignette and gives a welcoming feeling to the entry. Welcome, we glad to see you ! Come in and stay awhile.!

8 comments:

Kom Achterom said...

OOh how nice!
i love your new home.
You make it beautiful.
I wish you a verry nice week
Yolanda

Sissie's Shabby Cottage said...

Your entryway is so pretty and gives a sneek peek at what is to come in that lovely room.

The vingette is so pretty, love the basket and the shutter.

hugs
Sissie

Stacey said...

Love your entryway. I really love that shelf and all the goodies there. A little lamp is always the best accessory.

Anonymous said...

What a pretty entryway!The shutter shelf is such a darling idea and I would love to find a few more shutters to make a few of these!!

A very sweet and pretty statement to make the minute you walk in your home!

bee blessed
mary

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing this information

A Retractable Gate is ideal for homes or commercial areas that require medium security levels.

Anonymous said...

Hey Retro Heads!

I have just entered a retro-licious “Mad Men” contest, and I need your votes to win a walk-on role on the show!

Please go to http://madmencastingcall.amctv.com/browse/detail/EZ3MBH and vote for me!

Thanks a bunch,
Marcheline

Victoria said...

That looks lovely! I adore your shelf:) What a lovely view to walk into to!

Neabear said...

The entryway is so lovely. I love the welcome feel it gives for when you come home. The lamp is a great idea. I don't like coming home to a dark house either. Right now we have night lights that help with that, plus there is a switch right when we come in that we can turn on. Also a motion sensor light turns on when we pull into the driveway.

Linnea