I finally got up the nerve to attack working on decoupaging the print onto the doors to the TV. First I painted the frame. I started with a brown base,then added some shades of green and some blue then added the silver paint. I then added some deeper brown and tried to distress the frame. Then I applied a layer of decoupage glue onto the main part of the doors. I laid the print onto the area with the glue and trimmed it with small craft knife, then I tried to smooth out the wrinkles. That part was tough but after it dried the wrinkles were pretty much gone. I let it dry for a while and then applied another thick layer that I worked around the flowers to gives it the look of being painted. It is a mat finish but with the heavy layer you can see the texture. I had a few touch ups, then let it dry.
When I came home from work today it was dry so I used a completely clean blade and put it deeply into the opening at the top of the frame and then slowly went down the opening until I came out the other end. Then I did the same thing to the middle hinged area.Then I reattached it to the hinges. I still need to do some adjusting of the hinges as it is not quite straight.
I bought the print at Michael's on sale for $7.00. I used my craft paint to paint the frame and I think the bottle of decoupage glue was $5.00. I picked this print as I wanted something that wasn't too busy as I have so much going on in the bookcases. It also contained some blue and a background that goes with the paint and tile on the fireplace. I still have a little touch up to do but I'm pretty much finished and I'm happy with the way it looks. And just in time for Christmas!
I am a nurse by profession and a single parent to my only child. I enjoy decorating, scrapping, photography, gardening, sewing and travel. I also enjoy my dogs, needle work, cooking and spending time with friends.